IML: Imperial Love Stories

The news of Kenyon and Liz's recent nuptials got me thinking about our own
Imperial Love Stories. No, not our love affairs with the car, but our love
stories with our spouses, partners, significant others, etc.

I'll go first:
I was married for 16 years to a man who didn't know what end of the
screwdriver to use. We divorced (not because of the screwdriver!). I grew up
in a family of aircraft mechanics and I knew how to get my hands dirty,
although I didn't like it much as a kid. My current husband, Clint, was
married for 30 years. He has a lot of experience with cars; as a teenager he
worked in a gas station and later moved on to a parts house. He has had
various cars to tinker with and brought a '65 Valiant into our marriage.

We decided shortly after we were married to look for a project car to work
on together so we looked around and found "IT"...our 1959 Persian Pink Crown
4-door. I always was a sucker for fins (the first family car I remember was
a 1960 Plymouth). So we bought the Crown with the intention of restoring it.
I'm working (slowly) on the interior and he's charged with the engine,
transmission, brakes, etc.

This has turned out to be quite an experience and has opened up a whole new
level in our conversations...."When are you going to move the Imperial
inside?"   "How do you rebuild an engine?"   "Why is the carpet coming out
in chunks?"  Well, you get the idea.

So, how has your Imperial - past or present - played a role in your on-going
love story?

With love,
Laurie Carter
Ilwaco, WA USA