Re: IML: 68 No-start when hot

I would pull the float level plug on the side of each bowl (front & back), if fuel runs out the float is too high. It can be adjusted up or down with the screw on top of each bowl (after loosening the lock nut). If it's a rebuilt (scary) Holley the power valve should be OK as you didn't mention any backfiring & it's not a motocraft carb. Remember to use rags & be very careful because this process will cause fuel spillage & should be done by a trained professional.
Good Luck!

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:51:03 +0000
 sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
It is possible the floats are set wrong, it's also possible the power-valve (primary side) may be leaking, either the wrong gasket, damaged valve(from a major back fire) or loose.To check the floats, you could shut the engine off, then look in the carb, if the floats are the issue, then you will see fuel dripping from the venturi boosters.If the power valve is the problem, you won't see the fuel leaking in, until you open the primary throttle valve. Since you have black smoke after start up, then the carb is suspect. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Greg Krueger <box_89krueger@xxxxxxxxxxx> Yes the car is in running condition i have driven it 100 miles at a time. I am fairly certain it is in the fuel system not the electrical. Black smoke will blow out of the tail pipe momentarily after I get the car finally started. We have replaced the coil, ballast resistor, spark plugs, and wires. We have checked for spark and it is there even when the car will not start. Also emedietly after I have realized the car wont start i check the carb's choke it is working as it should. I am fairly certain this is a boil over problem on a rebuilt holly carburetor. any advice.

From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: 68 No-start when hot
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:52:14 +0000

Since there has been a lot of very good input, I would only add, spark, and fuel. The two easy tests. It is possible the accelerator pump is in-active. The 68 should have a Holley carb, it's possible the cold start is good because the choke is closed, and vacuum during cranking will draw enough fuel to start, once the engine is hot it may be too lean to start. Then when the engine cools enough the choke may close enough to start. A simple check to see if the accelerator pump is working would be in order. And as others have stated, check for spark, however I have the impression the engine will start, only with delay. If that's the case,it's most probably a carb/fuel issue. A very low fuel pressure, or blocked fuel filter may also be a problem. You also didn't say if the car was driveable .Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Geoff Fors" <wb6nvh@xxxxxxxx>
It sounds like the fuel is boiling and/or vapor-locking in the carburetor bowls. I presume that once the engine is running, it doesn't stall when hot, it just won't re-start when hot? That points to a fuel system problem. I also presume this is running a Carter AFB series carburetor. Sounds like the heat riser valve is frozen in position, and its thermal clock spring may be rusted away or missing as well. The spring keeps it closed until the engine heats up, then it holds it open after that. The exhaust force will also push it open when the engine is brought above idle. It's possible to wire the heat riser open, especially if you live in a warm climate. However, the heat riser assists in rapid warm-up and reduces the time that excess gasoline enters the combustion chambers during warm-up. You may have a valve which is rusted closed, even though it appears to be open from an exterior view. That would certainly account for this problem. Sometimes the paddle moves on its shaft. The only way to tell is to drop the exhaust pipe from the manifold and look, rather a pain. It's not unheard of for the heat riser paddle to come off the shaft and fall down the pipe, jamming at some point, plugging that side. I haven't seen this on Imperials but on 1960's Buicks it will totally plug the exhaust system! The gasoline sold today tends to vaporize far more quickly than 1968 gasoline and thus older cars without fuel injection can vapor-lock easily. This is a perennial subject in other make car clubs at the moment. The paint always cooks off on the heat r iser path section of the intake manifold after awhile. That's normal. It shouldn't come off the rest of the manifold, however! If we were to take a survey, I think you will find that there are quite a few of us running stock '67-'68 setups with working heat riser valves and original carbs and gaskets, and we don't have this hot-start issue. Thus I think something is wrong. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the choke is fully pulled-off when the engine is warmed up. The setup worked fine originally, so if it isn't doing so now, something is not right. I don't see any point in changing the intake manifold. The heat comes from the riser tube, not the manifold design. If you really want to eliminate the heat, use a gasket that blocks the riser tube holes, and you can retain the stock manifold. And, it wouldn't hurt to use a thicker gasket under the carb. Bu t, it should run fine as a stock setup, and not get too hot. Geoff Monterey CA

----------------- http://www.imperialclub.com ----------------- This message was sent to you by the Imperial Mailing List. Please reply to mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response will be shared with everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for the Administrators should be sent to iml.webmonster@xxxxxxxxx To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to http://imperialclub.com/unsubscribe.htm

More photos; more messages; more whatever ? Get MORE with Windows Live? Hotmail®. NOW with 5GB storage. Get more!