IML: Imperial Love Stories continued

Hi All:  I just am so pleased this chain was started and I simply must add to it.

I remember a long line of cars in our family beginning with a ‘30s’ something, dark colored Dodge Victory with a bright blue horizontal 2-3 inch band around it. (I have never seen another one like it). It had suicide doors in the rear and I felt compelled to try them out when I was about 3 or 4 when my dad was driving the family home on a gravel road.  I still have a small dent in my head from that escapade! Probably our 1940 Chevrolet sedan with regular doors was chosen for it’s more secure door system!  I remember her well, her maroon paint smelled like candied apples. A 1949 sea foam Dodge Coronet 4 door sedan was the next family car and it was then I realized that my parents really needed to solicit my advice on any future purchases! Ugh!  The next one was certainly my pick and I wasn’t even tactful…saying, “That is the one!”.  It was a beautiful  brilliant blue, white topped 4 door ‘55’ Dodge…the nicest, flashiest car we had ever had.  Then, in 1956 my dad bought a ‘56’ Plymouth Sport Fury for my brother and me. We had finished high school and had driver’s licenses. I simply drove the wheels off that car and my brother finally gave up and bought a ‘60’ DeSoto Fire-Sweep Coupe of his own.

Oh, we were supposed to be talking about love, were we not? To make a long story short, my wonderful Fury developed a serious transmission problem at about 150,000 miles and it was suggested that I take it to the neighborhood mechanic two miles down the road.  Guess what…two call-backs later on that repair…that mechanic and I started going together and got married a year later. He really never liked my Fury, so still feeling a bit guilty over shafting my brother I gifted the car to his son.  He did a ground-up restoration (it needed it!) and still has it today.

But, through all of this, I was a ‘closet’ Imperial fan, but my dad informed me that we could not afford one.  So, in 1993 I talked my husband into finding an Imperial…surely we could afford one that was 30 years old!  We found The IMP in eastern Washington and made the deal for $1000 cash and a trunk load of frozen boxed beef. Now isn’t this romantic?

In the interest of family stories, I have elaborated on my signature block below…maybe we can stir up some conversation with collectors of other ‘stuff”.  Thanks for listening.

Patricia   Pruitt

Bozeman, Montana 59718

pruittghl@xxxxxxx

1962 Crown Imperial 4 dr Southampton (The IMP)  - mine

   Hoards of Galloway Cattle stuff – www.gallowayhistlib.com -  mine

1969 Mercedes-Benz 600 sedan, SWB- hubby

   Variety of Minneapolis-Moline & other mechnical stuff – hubby

1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV – Special Lipstick series - #1 son

    Diecast miniature car collection- Hallmark Road Rovers & Wallace Berrie Funkymobiles - #1 son

1990 Jeep Cherokee ‘Limited” 330, 000 miles and counting - #2 son

   (Professional Photojournalist in NY State, actively seeking relocation, more challenges etc. www.derekpruitt.com )