Re: IML: sales scam

    I did the same thing when I had my car listed. After we settled on the price I informed him (actually he was posing as a woman) of the "good news" The shipping would be free, and I could be paid in person !  The transaction would be done at the local bank. I said I was the Captain of a merchant ship and have access to a free container. My ship was departing in a few days to the port nearby, the ship would be in dry dock on arrival and I would have some down time. I would personally deliver the car and we would have the good fortune to meet in person. I kept "phyllis" informed of my position via my sattellite link to my ISP. I gave lots details about delays due to inclement weather, a delay because of a pilot being unavailable at a certain port for six hours, etc, etc. Needless to say the constant emails from "phillis" suddenly stopped . I never gave out my home address to the scammer either, there was no need to with my story,  but now I get tons of scammer emails . They must sell each other contact lists. I suggest using a disposable email address rather than your primary address when posting a car on the internet. That way you can just dump the email address when you start getting spammed.
                                  Frank
Kevin Baert <baertk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm beginning to have some fun with an internet scam artist. I recently listed my black 56 sedan on the site, and received several e mails re the car. The latest wants to send me a cashiers cheque or bank draft for the agreed price plus the transport cost.,  I'm to FWD the transport cost to his haul guy. Of course the scam only works if you deposit the draft, and transfer the funds rt after. By the time the draft actually goes through channels and clears your bank will notice that there are no funds or the account is nonexistent. You are then out the amount you transfered to the car hauler. I'm not sure how dumb you'd have to be to fall for this one, but I'll keep you posted. He says he lives in Washington State.  I might turn this over toi our local RCMP fraud guys, unless they're too busy looking under theater seats for Bin Laden and gum.
Maybe I'll frame the draft, might even get a colection of them.
Kevin