Re: IML: what's YOUR car's name?/ appreciating my 90 & the IML

Re: IML: what's YOUR car's name?/ appreciating my 90 & the IML

In my family we always named cars.  My fathers 1962 Newport was Maude, our 1971 T-Bird was the Turd Bird (as it was a constant maintenance problem), our 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood was Blackie, our 1977 New Yorker was Maude II (both the Newport and New Yorker were white), my mother's 1980 Datsun was Kamakazi, the 1985 Mazda was Heather, my 1989 New Yorker Landau was Quinanne Joan, my 1991 Alfa Romeo 164L was Rolf, my 1983 Volvo is Bergen, and my 1965 Imperial is Maude Evelyn (also white.)  Currently, my mother's 2005 Mercedes-Benz is Sydney.  Being originally from South Texas, our cars like extensions of the family.

Timothy
1965 Crown 4-door

OK, so I've been watching this thread for too long, so I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. For some crazy reason I have ALWAYS named my cars , from my very first one in 1982 ( a 78 Eldorado I called Seymore) all the way to my current ones. A few notables from the past few years are Wilma ( 69 New Yorker) Lindsay ( 85 Town Car) Magenta ( 98 Mountaineer ) Betty ( 62 DeVille) Bosley
( my 78 Town Car who I later called Rosie after a re-paint to pink) Miss Silver ( 86 Fleetwood Brougham ) Hans 98 740il) Valerie (  89 mark VII LSC) Max ( 88 Allante) and finally  Lady Kay of LeBarrondom ( 90 Imperial)

Speaking of Lady Kay, I was replacing the ignition lock cylinder today ( the problem with my "90 Imp no start" thread of the past few days)  and I was amazed at how easy nearly everything I have needed to do on this car has been. In the 9 years she's been in the family, I've never really had any trouble with it... with the exception of my anti-lock breaks, but even that was replaced under warranty based on info gathered here, that otherwise I wouldn't have known about. Even the dealer said at first that It wasn't covered,( but that's a story for another post ) .  These cars really are a joy to work on, and very easy to keep on the road as long as one has the service manual, the right tools and the seasoned advice from this wonderful group to steer us in the right direction.. With that I'd like to say thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum, from the moderators to those who read and post. I know that I have saved thousands and have been able to keep my cars in great shape because of you all. ( I've been using the IML since Tony Lindsay started it all those years ago),  and yes I did contribute a few dollars during the membership drive of the past few weeks, although I know it wasn't even remotely sufficient to cover the amount of knowledge and joy I've gathered here.

Matthew

PS.   I have a few pics of my current cars posted at the link below if anyone cares to look. Lady Kay isn't pictured there yet, I am doing a major detail on her now and will be adding those pictures in the next week.
http://allante.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=188&club_id=179768&module_id=14711&pp=1