Re: IML: sales scam

Not to regurgitate, what we all know, but this is different. I got a" Interested in my Imperial part" e-mail today, without hesitation I scrapped it as spam, I just got an e-mail, that asked who the person was,(the one that sent first). Then asked how much they(or I) would pay up-front to get involved in the scam. They must have gotten their wires crossed. Interesting anyway, Dave.

From: Mark Speizer <spower4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Not accepting cashiers checks could be a very big mistake.  Just tell the person sending the check that you will hold off sending money to the shipper and will hold off sending the paid for goods until the check clears your bank plus an additional 10 to 15 days.  Or you could set up an account at the  bank for the sole purpose of receiving wire transfers.  The day the money arrives by wire transfer the money to another account, so that there is virtually no money in the wire transfer account.  Anyone who will either not accept the  holds placed on a cashier or other check or will not wire the money to your account will stop bothering you and you can sell your item to another.  These precautions would likely eliminate the exposure to scammers.

Mark Speizer
'57 Imperial Southhampton 2dr
'57 Imperial Crown Convertible

Alex Shevat <shevat6@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I work at a car lot with people always sending me cashiers checks in the mail. If they want you to send money to a shipper out of the money they sent you, that's a big flag saying scam!   I've got a dozen bogus checks already over the past year. Do not send anybody money!  I haven't lost any money and have reported them to Officials.

Alex
1964 Imperial Crown 4 door Blue

Kevin Baert <baertk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm beginning to have some fun with an internet scam artist. I recently listed my black 56 sedan on the site, and received several e mails re the car. The latest wants to send me a cashiers cheque or bank draft for the agreed price plus the transport cost.,  I'm to FWD the transport cost to his haul guy. Of course the scam only works if you deposit the draft, and transfer the funds rt after. By the time the draft actually goes through channels and clears your bank will notice that there are no funds or the account is nonexistent. You are then out the amount you transfered to the car hauler. I'm not sure how dumb you'd have to be to fall for this one, but I'll keep you posted. He says he lives in Washington State.  I might turn this over toi our local RCMP fraud guys, unless they're too busy looking under theater seats for Bin Laden and gum.
Maybe I'll frame the draft, might even get a colection of them.
Kevin