IML: AC in 6VDC Cars

I agree with Dick Benjamin. 6VDC cars are capable of operating heavy current accessories well as long as the generator and voltage regulator are working properly and the battery/generator system has a good ground and source cables. Mane sure the cables to/from the battery, generator, starter and accessory feeds are adequate wire gauge (no. 10 AWG suggested) and that all the connections are clean, shiny and free from corrosion. Be sure to check the ground strap from engine block to chassis and from the battery ground terminal to chassis. If any of them need to be cleaned do that and when re-connecting make sure mating surfaces are also clean. Use some plumber's silicone grease on the connectors to help assure that air is kept away from the contact surfaces and they should work well for years.

I would suggest using an adequate circuit breaker in the feed to the 6VDC blower motors of the AC unit (30 amp. should be adequate, per '55 factory installation).. Install it ahead of the blower motor switch if not using the Chrysler switch. The Chrysler switch may include a circuit breaker built in (check the '54 and '55 service manuals). That way you can avoid nuisance fuse blowing. Most of the 6VDC cars used them for window lift and power seat motor circuits. If there is a heavy duty generator that was available in '54-'55 models, try to get one and use it. Cars equipped at the factory with AC usually came with a high output generator.

Joe
begin:vcard
fn:Joe Strickland
n:Strickland;Joe
adr;dom:;;1021 Vaughan Lane;Tioga;TX;76271
version:2.1
end:vcard