Re: IML: Follow up: Rebuilding / reinstalling a 392 hemi into a 1958

Re: IML: Follow up: Rebuilding / reinstalling a 392 hemi into a 1958

Hugh,

I've been working on cars in my spare time, my whole life.

A few years ago when I lived in town, in a smaller house, I had to swap a short block (engine block) in one of my cars. I took it to a good production shop and they pulled the old engine, removed all the outer pieces from the old engine, heads, manifold, etc., bolted these pieces onto the new short block and re-installed the engine..... Total time and cost.. three weeks and about $1000.

Recently I pulled the engine and transmission on my truck and took them out as one piece. I removed the front clip. (it makes life MUCH easier, and it's relatively quick and easy) just use zip-lock bags and put a piece of paper in the bag indicating what the pieces are and where they go) maybe even a quick diagram if needed. I sent the tranny out to be rebuilt, and while the engine was hanging on the hoist, I cleaned it, painted it, put new seals on, upgraded the distributor, fuel pump, water pump, carb, new hoses, etc, etc.

Now it's bright yellow, chrome, and black, and looks like a million bucks.

I re-installed the engine and tranny as one piece, the motor mounts didn't line up exactly, so I tweaked the truck frame for a week or two, with floor jacks and stands, and got the motor mount bolts nicely aligned. Now I just have to fabricate some linkage for the new carb and kickdown and it will be ready to fire 'er up.

Total time.... 2 years and a couple of months. That's why the frame settled and I had to tweak it.

Total cost ....tranny and converter $850 ....engine upgrade about $700. This was doing all the engine work myself at a leisurely pace, a couple of nights a week and a few weekends here and there, when I had the spare time.

While I was doing this, I also cleaned, prepped, and painted (chassis black) the inside of the front clip, the whole front frame and firewall of the truck, the inside of the cab, under the floors of the cab, and halfway back along the chassis (under the truck) I still have the rear portion and gas tank to finish.

So, maybe 6 more months and then I can move the truck out of the way and get started on the two '57 Imperials, which I will do basically the same thing to them, and maybe a "frame off" on one of them.

This truck upgrade was a good training exercise to get me ready for the Imperials.

It's a BIG BIG undertaking restoring ANY car, especially the Imperials, so don't let it scare you, you can borrow or rent the heavy tools, and ENJOY the hours you spend on these cars, don't let them overwhelm you.

If you have the spare time, It's very therapeutic and the end result is VERY satisfying, especially if you work an office/computer job like I do from 8 to 5 everyday.

And every-so-often I even see some of the cars I restored years ago, still driving around the Portland metro area.

My wife is used to my outbursts when we are driving around.....hearing me yell "Hey look, there's my old convertible" or "Hey, there's my old Cadillac"....... tomorrow I'm going to a car cruise, and then after that I'm taking a friend and his wife out for a surprise cruise for their anniversary in my '58 decorated with streamers and ribbons.

Let me know if I can help you with anything at all.

All the best,

-Mike in Oregon