Re: IML: Generator Oil in' 55-'56 //2 //3

Re: IML: Generator Oil in' 55-'56 //2 //3

50's Imperialist's:

...........before installing, what I do is fit my screwgun to the P/S coupling and fill the reservoir with new ATF, then using an old piece of p/s hose cut to fit into a bucket--usually an old Folger's coffee bucket--I put both ends into the vessel [I have adapted the pressure side with easily attainable hardware store adaptors and rubber hose], then run the gun, without the filter in the reservoir....I have cleaned several this way prior to installation, and I have found if a pump is gone, no amount of cleaning will save it, though I will say like most parts of the vintage ,they are resilient and can surprise you:  this method has allowed me to buy and NOT rebuild a working P/S pump, as it proved out that the interior fluid was 'good looking' upon dispersal, the unit ran quiet -stored fluid does no good to the interiors-, and though I of course cannot create the pressure the operating system does, that's what the road test is for ......

Jack