Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Winter Car Storage/Gas

Five months is pushing it for the gas, but fuel in the Netherlands
might be better than here. My experience is that gas begins to
breakdown fairly quickly. After a while (a couple years) it can turn
into powder when combined with a tank in poor condition. Been there,
done that!

Stabil helps prevent the break down. It should be added before filling
the tank, like you do, before the end of the driving season. Run the
engine for a little while after it mixes to get the blend into the
carb. It does work. The gas doesn't seem to develop that characteristic
"old gas smell" as quickly. Once the gas has turned, its too late. I
have been using Stabil in my cars for the last couple of years.

If the car has some bad gas in the tank (foul smelling) don't add more
gas until the old gas is drained. I have found that the bad gas
accelerates the break down of the new gas that mixes with it.

Just more words of wisdom here based on experience, not scientific, but
seemingly true.

Paul W.

Paul