From: Joe Strickland <jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Brooks Harkey <vm.dude@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 1:42 pm
Subject: IML: '62 Brake problem - Return Sprinl Link popped out!

Today while reassembling the front brakes on my '62 Imperial, the brake return spring link popped completely out of the support plates. This happened while trying to reinstall the brake shoe return spring. The best picture I have found of the return spring link is in the Master Technician book 96 which is for '55-'56 models. The item is shown best on pages 9-13 illustrations. Has any of you had this happen? If so, how does one go about getting the spring return link back into position between the support plates? One end has to go behind the brake shoe web heel anchor and the other end goes behind the adjustment cam. Can the return spring link be put back in easily if two of the bolts that hold the support plates to the axle hub and steering link are removed?

Or have I broken/damaged the return spring link and it can't be repaired? I didn't find any loose pieces that fell out from between the support plates. The passenger side went together with no problems. I was installing new wheel cylinders and brake shoes on the driver's side when this happened.

Joe