IML: Installing Replacement Tail Light Lenses on a '62

IML: Installing Replacement Tail Light Lenses on a '62

Geoff wrote:
      I wouldn't use screws that bind in the plastic  at all. They should be
free in the plastic and tight in the steel. Oversize screws may burst the
lens hole. Good luck.  Geoff Simpson
The design of the tail light lenses on a '62 is such that the only metal that is touching the lenses is a flat ring shape which is part of a bracket inside the lens housing (die cast metal).  This ring is up inside the die cast housing, rests flat against the back side of the lens and the screws go through the ring with no threads touching the metal at all.  The screw threads have to bite into holes in the back side of the tail light lens plastic material.  The only part of the retaining screws which touch the flat ring is the head of the screw.  When the lenses are installed there are no screws visible at all from the outside.  My worry is that if I use a screw that has too large a diameter (threads included) that it could cause the plastic of the new lenses to split.  The replacement lenses I bought have no threads cut into them from the manufacturer.  I am guessing that original equipment lenses had pre-cut thread grooves already in them.  If that is the case, could someone with OEM lenses check to see what size screws were used?  I could use a screw tap and tap the holes to a certain machine screw thread size if needed.

Dave has a good idea - using hot water to warm the lens up before cutting threads in it or installing screws.  The end result should be screws that screw in with reasonable ease and also provide adequate holding power so that they won't back out from vibration.

Joe
begin:vcard
fn:Joe Strickland
n:Strickland;Joe
adr;dom:;;1021 Vaughan Lane;Tioga;TX;76271
version:2.1
end:vcard