Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 6:57 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Electronic distributor

I?ve said this before, and I?ll probably stir of a hornet?s nest by repeating it:

 Yes, electronic ignition is an improvement over the old system; the improvement is in reduced need for maintenance and perhaps slightly in performance (immeasurable unless your old system was in really bad shape).

HOWEVER!: You do lose something that I feel is very important:  These cannot be fixed by the side of the road with a hairpin and some chewing gum ? if it quits, its tow truck time!  The older system can be made to work with all sorts of jury-rigged kludges using roadside trash items if necessary to get you home if something breaks on it.  (Been there, done that!)   Further, when it is getting toward the end of life, the deterioration is gradual.  With the electronic system, when something goes bad, it is all over immediately ? no limping along to the next freeway exit!  It?s coast to the side of the road and whip out the cell phone to call the man with the hook!  (I hope you?re where you have cell phone coverage, and your battery isn?t dead.)

Old Charlie Kettering was not so dumb, after all.

Dick Benjamin