From: Geoff Fors <wb6nvh@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 7:22 pm
Subject: IML: Electronic Ignition

One of the reasons I was thinking about converting to electronic ignition on
my '67 is that the Mopar Direct-Connection style electronic ignition
conversion kit has an adjustable vacuum advance.  I have a terrible time
with pre-detonation (pinging) even with supreme brand gasoline and retarding
the timing isn't a very satisfactory solution, particularly considering  how
far it has to be retarded.  I have tentatively determined that the pinging
is caused by the vacuum advance curve being too aggressive for today's fuel.

I have already converted the heads to unleaded and don't want to replace
pistons and head gaskets in a project to lower the compression, so I am
looking at distributor advance solutions.

What have others done regarding the predetonation issue?

Geoff
Monterey CA