Re: IML: Imperial Shipping - Detroit to Halifax, or Calais Maine

Re: IML: Imperial Shipping - Detroit to Halifax, or Calais Maine

Question.  Is the car drivable?  If so, I'd just fly down and drive it back.  If it needs minor things like a tune-up, new tires, or something like that (even having the gas tank cleaned), I'd have it done it Detroit and drive it back myself.  As the Canadian dollar has surpassed the U.S. dollar, it should be cheaper, too.

Timothy Callaway
1965 Crown 4-door

Hi Club,

I have been having a 'Dickens' of a time finding someone to ship me my 'new'
1967 Imperial Convertible from Detroit to Halifax, Nova Scotia

I even have put out a U-Ship invitation to quote, no bites in ten days.

Has anyone had Northeastern US experience with a good shipper they can
recommend? I have tried some on the club website but they are either out of
business or do not respond.

I could go to Calais, Maine and drive it home from there if she will make
the five hour journey without difficulty - could be another adventure.

Some of you in the club will remember me buying my 1969 4 dr LeBaron off
Ebay after the 'kid from California' had an under-the-hood electrical fire
in the back woods of Maine, which he doused.   He gave up on the car, flew
home and then sold it rather than wait for the hillbillies who kept his car
to fix it.

Was I brave?  Not really - I was able to enlist the help of Dick Benjamin to
provide a useful wiring diagram to the Maine'ers that were trying to put
Humpty Dumpty back together again.

With Dick's help plus a new wiring harness from the desert in Arizona, it
was back on the road again quite quickly and she drove me, my son and a
buddy back to Halifax in style.  I had the car for several years then my
style-over conscious, follow-the-[silly]-changing trends teenagers put up
such a fuss about the 'ugly' turbine bronze pumpkin coloured car, that I
gave in and sold it - it went to Norway.  I have regretted it ever since.

That was easy shipping - Halifax to Norway - all done by boat.

You'd think Detroit to Halifax would be no big whoop.

I await your kind help!

Allen Fownes
Halifax, Nova Scotia