RE: IML: My Imperial Dilemma

John,

I think the thrill has gone out of the hunt for you right now. I suspect
this, for it did for me for a number of years. I had many
, many, very special and mostly high performance cars earlier in my life.
Then, for whatever reason, raising a family, school activities, etc., I was
completely dormant for a number of years. I'm one of the, looking back now,
idiots that sold an absolute show car 68 GT 350 Shelby Mustang in about 1980
for $6,800. Well, that was a fair price back in 80. About two years
later,however, the Shelby's started going right off the charts.
I'm 60 now, and have had the bug again for about the past four or five
years. And, I now have my first Chrysler anything, a 61 Coupe I'm about to
spend a bundle (ton, boat load, lots) on having it restored. Well, I did
have a Sunbeam Tiger at one time sold through Chrysler.
My point is, just relax. I'm self employed too, and I also have to hire out
most of the serious work. And, you shouldn't feel a bit of guilt about
selling your car to another avid fan. You've done a good job, that we all
try to do, in keeping these cars preserved and away from the dreaded
crusher.
John, trust me. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE OTHER IMPERIALS. When you get the fever
again, go for it.
My problem is I like too many different cars, so I have my hauntings, too. I
have three or four cars off in the weeds just waiting for me to bring them
back to life. But, right now, my focus is on my 61 Crown Coupe. When done,
it should be gorgeous and a blast to own. But, will I get so attached to it
that I'll never consider selling it? Probably not. Some collector will
probably come along at Good Guys, or some show, and ask how much it would
take for me to sell it. Then, knowing my evil demons, I'll immediately start
thinking about my next project, and probably cave in.
I wish I could be like Mr. Leno, and just keep them all.
So, John, take yourself a break and pass your loving car on to someone else.
Stash some cash away, and when and if the bug bites again, get you another,
maybe even better Imperial.

Regards
Steve
Ovilla, Texas