From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 8:27 am
Subject: Re: IML: No Regret on Bad Brakes, DOT 5 has bad juju, I think

On 10/11/07, PAUL WENTINK <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> If the pedal goes away when the car sits it has
absolutely NOTHING to
> do with changing to DOT 5.

Maybe.

Considering that absolutely every piece besides the
drum backing plates is new (see my Epic on 1960 page
for photos) , including all metal lines on the frame,
I'm not inclined to suspect that this is a
component-related problem. Maybe a bad part, and I do
intend to address it when I get back on that horse,
but it loses pressure over 6-12 months, not overnight.

I'm too lazy to do the research for this message to
butress my argument, but I've seen things about DOT5
doing funny things to rubber like weeping over time
that support my suspicion.

Pedal works fine if I pressurize it, holds for days or
weeks even. It's just after months and months that I
got and continue to get surprises, the first one
landing me across the street in Myrtle's lawn when I
tried to use my rebuilt brake system and it declined
to operate.

No need to diagnose further here - car is in cold
storage and terribly incomplete, but I remain
convinced that I'd go with 3 if I did it again, so
that's what I was getting at.