Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 6:37 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Leather Repair

I don't know what color your seats are, but I am guessing possibly
light. Since you are not considering total restoration, I offer the
following.

I have worked on leather that is as you describe and completely
understand that it should be replaced, but sometimes a repair can yield
acceptable results for a driver class vehicle. A cheap solution would
be to concentrate your effort on the area that is bad. Visit a couple
of shoe stores, and take a look at their selection of spray shoe/purse
leather dyes. Some stores carry a wider selection than others. Find the
two colored caps that are closest match to your seat color. One should
be too light and the other too dark. Also buy the bottle of leather
preparation. With all that leather oil on there, the dye won't stick.

Remove the cushion to a comfortable place to work that is well
ventilated, clean the area you want to paint with the preparation
liquid, and then lightly spray the area with the dye, alternating
between the lighter and the darker colors, blending it with the
surrounding area, or the specific selected panel if you decide to
isolate a specific place. Its okay if the two colors don't completely
blend while wet. USE LIGHT EVEN COATS until you are satisfied with the
change.

It won't be perfect or pearlescent, and the cracking will probably
show, but the area will look better. With the discoloration less
noticeable, you may be happier with the original upholstery. If you are
really good, no one will know about it but you and possibly a very well
trained eye.

Good luck!

Paul W.