Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:13 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; mailing-list-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Silicone vs. Petroleum on Tires

Fellow Imperialists,

       In a recent discussion with my tire man who was rotating the Coker's on my '56 Imperial, I noted the 'swirls' and the apparent cracking on the sidewall's which I diligently maintain, these despite only about 5,000 miles on them.  His response was that the 'Tire Clean' products are the cause of this as they are silicone-based and expedite the drying out of the tire.  He said a wipe shine of clean oil or even WD-40 --or anything petroleum-based-- is the only thing to use on tires.  Clean with soap and water and if that isn't yet a 'look' you desire, then it is oil to achieve the shine.

    Any thoughts on this?

Jack