IML: Imperial as touch stone

It recently occurred to me just how significant my Imperial is to me even though I have not been able to drive it for almost four years now. I had the pleasure of attending a gathering of almost eighty Ford Model Ts in Uvalde, Texas, a few weeks ago. In passing, the 1924 truck owned by the museum was recently started again for the first time in 25 years in preparation for a Model T event at our property later this month. While I thoroughly enjoyed the meet, I found myself referring to my 58 probably more than was entirely proper at an event dedicated to another make, but the way I found I best related to their enthusiasm was my own for my 58 Imperial.

I also took part in a train show recently. Heck, I even wrote a book about local railroads. Once again I could not help but mention in my talk the fact that it was the Imperial which drew me closest to the museum and that it was from my enjoyment of this car that I was now manager of the place plus a published author. It is feature prominently in the introductory part of every PowerPoint show I give, no matter what the topic. So, no matter where I go and do, the Imperial is never far from my thoughts. It did indeed change my life. I would not have stayed with the museum, even as a volunteer, where it not for the car's peculiar magnetic attraction.

So, here's the good news. At a recent board meeting, I humbly requested that the restoration of the Imperial be placed on next year's priority list. I made a convincing business argument for it, not least because my second book, about local road transportation, is due out in the summer and the car would make a great promotional device for it and the museum. I also, admittedly several years ago, had a conversation with a local television station about using the car as the main prop in a proposed show about local history. Aimed at children of all ages, the show would be called "Travels with Mrs. Blueberry." The idea is that car is the narrator and takes the viewer to interesting places in the car. I or more likely an actor, would play the role of chauffeur, ushering the camera into the back seat and giving some old chat about the intended destination. It's a cheap and cheerful concept, just another way of making local history a little more palatable to kids, who are drawn to the 58 just moths to a flame.

The response was entirely positive, though concerns about the new rust hole in the floor were expressed and rightly so. Once the conversation has moved into practical areas, the deal can be said to be all but done, which indeed it was. So, with any luck, like a phoenix, Mrs. Blueberry may just be able to emerge from the ashes one more time. I certainly hope so. It's all very well talking abut it but nothing, nothing at all, compares to driving it.

Hugh Hemphill
58 Imperial
San Antonio, Texas.