Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960 Temperature Gauge

The gauges on these cars (1960 through 1963) were never very accurate.
Adding to this problem, over the years voltage regulator failures have
often overheated them. The regulators are notorious for burning out and
pegging the gauges. Usually, they can be saved if the car is
immediately shut down, but this can happen anyplace, and disconnecting
the gauges on the fly isn't a simple job. Most of them are just run
until they get too hot or burn out completely.

The cooling systems on our cars is able to handle just about anything,
as long as it is properly maintained and in good condition. I am okay
watching functional gauges for readings that are out of the ordinary.
The temperature and oil pressure gauges on most of my '60 through '63
Imperials read low, possibly due to what was explained previously. I
checked the actual temperature and oil pressure by having the cars
tested at the shop under normal operating conditions.

If I see the temperature gauge move high, or in the case of oil
pressure, low I shut it down and check for a problem. This occurred on
my '62 once after exiting a freeway. The temperature gauge suddenly
began to climb. Pulling over and checking things, I found a broken
belt. The car did not reach boiling, and I was able to change the belt
and resume my trip without trouble or having damaged the engine.

I think that the key here is to get to know your car, and then watch
and listen for change. That is usually the first sign of trouble. J.C.
Auto can rebuild and recalibrate the gauges on these cars if you want
them to read properly. Their contact information is on the OIC we site.
They do an excellent job.

Paul W.