Re: IML: Thermostats & Cooling - how & wh

Re: IML: Thermostats & Cooling - how & wh

Thanks for posting these links, they sure add a lot to this thread!

If you are referring to my comments on a 160F vs a 180F thermostat for a car running on LPG/propane, I can give some additional explanation. I'm not used to discuss these specific technicalities regarding gaseous fuels in English, so please forgive me if this sounds vague or inaccurate.

For most carguys living in the USA, LPG/propane is probably some exotic fuel, but in the Netherlands, it is a very popular choice, especially for V8 powered classic cars.

A propane engine will perform better when slightly colder than a comparable gasoline engine. Partly because if the coolant temperature higher, there will be more sludging in the convertor, thus harming performance. Also, the intake temperature needs to be as cool as possible, both for performance and economy. The RON of a gaseous fuel will drop dramatically with increased temperatures. Another side-effect is that the combustion temperature (not necessarily energy!) of propane is higher than that of gasoline, so some added cooling will help in this respect as well. Obviously, too cold an engine will face other problems. For LPG/propane, the 160 thermostat is generally the best choice, since there is no 170 available.