Re: IML: Laser Thermometer, many extra uses

I am sold.

----- Original Message -----
From: spicemanii@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Laser Thermometer, many extra uses
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:59:11 -0400

Hi Bob and gang:
   These Laser temp guns have tons of uses. You can get better mileage from these sensors. You can find which cylinder is miss firing. You can get a correct tire pressure setting according to the weight of the vehicle. Loaded or empty. You can verify the closeness of the temp gage on the dash to the top tank at the inlet hose of the radiator. You can check the top tank to the bottom tank for the difference in temps and get an idea of how much heat dissapation their is. This differs with weather. You would need a base to start with when the radiator is new or just rodded or recored. Write that down and keep a running record of the radiator showing signs of starting to clog from lack of use, especially, and other reasons.
   Fuel mileage is one of the major concerns, even for some Imperial owners, even though it should be last on an Imperial list of issues. So, for example, to get better fuel mileage and better tire wear, assuming the proper alignment has been done, start with airing up the tires according to the sidewall specs. Then drive the car on a straight stretch of road, about 5 miles. Have a pen and tablet handy. Run the laser gun across the tread of each tire. You want 3 readings from each tire. The outer edge, the center and then the inside. old the trigger on as you move the gun across the tire. Record each section. If the center is higher, deflate each tire a couple pounds that is higher in the center and raise the air pressure for those that the temp in the middle is cooler, also a couple pounds. This is done till you reach a temp almost exact across the tire. Now, this differs with extra passengers and stuff in the trunk. The front steering axle will be heavier tha n the rear, so, expect a difference. It takes 3 or 4 time s to dial it in. Also, Summer and Winter tire pressures change, and for where I live in the deserts of Calif, 4 to 6 degrees. Since we do not have cold or snow, your region should be showing a lower pressure than my cold weather of the 60's for high in Winters.
   The list is endless with what you can use the temp gun for. I also use it to keep track of the air cond output. That is another story in itself with various complications.
                       joe machado