Re: IML: 1960 gauge/personality notes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenyon Wills" <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960 gauge/personality notes

"I do not know why going to a 180 from a 160 would have
solved your problems "

Hello again Kenyon and the rest that had climbed in so far!

Well, I am not an expert when it comes to thermostats and allthough I like your theory: full flow is full flow, some other things crossed my mind too.

You see, when you fit a 160 it will open earlier to full flow, thus preventing the engine to reach its ideal temperature under the circumstances that the manufacturer has in mind. Like you mentioned earlier, the thermostat will be at full flow at a lower temperature and the radiator starts with disapating heat. So the engine will never reach its correct temperature because the radiator is doing its cooling job to early.

Why would one do this you might ask: Well, my theory is that he might have fit a 160 due to the fact that the car was used in a hot climate (Californian summers) and was used for pulling heavy loads (there was a hitch fitted when I bought the car 2 years ago). To prevent overheating he might have fitted a thermostat that was opening to full flow earler then the defaut 180.

Mind you, there is also a 195 thermostat available for our cars!
Maybe necessary when you use the car in extreme cold conditions (certain parts of Canada maybe?)

When you look at the catalog from Stand or Gates thermostats you will
find that they recommend the 180 for our cars, and that the 160 and 195 are available as "alternates". Unfortunately they do not explain why or when you will need such an alternate choice:)

Anyway, I have a good feeling about that 180 at the moment:
a) it is the thermostat that Chrysler used when building our cars
b) the heater is working properly now
c) the temp gauge is showing a more normal reading (exactly between C and H)

Now I only have to find out what will happen next summer on a hot summerday... I have the idea that under my circumstances a 170 thermostat will be ideal, but couldn't find one yet.

Just my two cents :)

Rob