IML: Thermostat Theory

I took Kenyon's suggestion and read the "Master Technician's" book #64-10, entitled "Keep it Cool".

Page 2 explains the theory behind thermostat function very well. In fact, it states, "the thermostat may never reach the full open position". It actually varies the amount of coolant flow into the radiator in an effort to maintain the predetermined temperature.

As I would understand it, a 160 degree thermostat allows only enough coolant into the radiator to maintain temperature in the engine of 160 degrees. I also think that this is probably too low - and not the "operating temperature" the engine was designed for. Probably not a good long term solution.

If one has other issues with the cooling system, i.e., clogging radiator, etc., a 160 thermostat may be a temporary band-aid, and one that may have been attempted by previous owners. It sounds like Robert's problem had everything to do with the wrong thermostat. I'm sure (as long as the rest of the cooling system is fine) that the 180 will work just fine in the Summer as well.

Further comments in the book regarding types of fans, and matching them properly to waterpumps, etc. VERY informative. Those booklets are the greatest thing! Always look for one on the topic you are questioning. Just my unrequested thoughts.

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom