Re: IML: thermostats

> From: "Rob van der Es" <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: IML: Thermostats
>
>> "Thus, the lower temp thermostat gives a bigger time and temperature
>> 'cushion', in which the cooling system has a chance to catch up"
>
> Hmm, that makes sense to me..
> Can one also say then that a lower thermostat can prevent the engine
> reach normal operating temp during short trips (10 mile) ?
> That was my experience in the past you see.

Yeah, that's the downside. With my police car, I had increased the car's cooling capacity so much to deal with summer temperatures, that in the winter I had to block part of the radiator (like a school bus does), or no heat, and excessively low operating temps.

> One drawback, my radiator suddenly starts leaking at the lower seam,
> can it
> be that the higher temp of the coolant has widen an already bad joint
> that
> wasn't leaking when driving with a lower coolant temp?

   Higher temp probably made for higher pressure, then.. sploosh.

     -Kle.
     '69 Crown 4DHT (cooling works, lots of other stuff, not so much)