Re: IML: matching engine numbers

If it's a better engine than the one it replaced, it
increased the car's value, because the car is now
better off than it was before, riiiight?

The "numbers matching" clap-trap seems to have nicely
bypassed Imperials (along with the run to six figures
in value that some other Mopar items have achieved).

That means that Imperials are not being evaluated with
scanning electron microscopes, having books written
about them (for the most part), and have not taken a
turn into the surreal where they turn into objects
d'art that are worshipped and never driven.

See "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" with Matthew Broderick
for my position on what old cars are for...I'm with
the Ferris on this one, although I can't condone the
odometer reversal bit.

I sat in a 1931 convertible the other day, and all I
wondered was what it would be like to drive around in,
not how much it's worth or if I could make money if I
bought it.  Its not for sale and I couldn't afford it
anyway if it was, but that's what old cars should be
to me - potential experiences.  Mutual funds are far
better investment vehicles, and far less likely to cut
your knuckles open.

If you decide to sell your car, disclose what you
know, be honest, and let the cards fall where they
may.

Might be better off not selling to someone that would
turn the car down based on some mis-matched numbers is
my thought.

-Kenyon

PS: Isn't that magic engine number totally obscured by
the 50lb. air compressor/bracket that's a monster to
remove that the car won't work without if you want
your alternator to work too?

PSS: Why would that "invisible" number matter if the
engine were moderately correct?

PSSS: You don't trailer your car around in a
hermetically sealed bubble and meticulously keep that
engine clean enough to lick or anything strange like
that, do you?  If not, you should be OK.

Kenyon Wills