Re: IML: dual exhaust system for '66

Aluminized pipe is fine for many years, but if you're going the extra mile, ask the shop if they mandrel bend the pipes. If not, the bends can reduce the pipe id by 30%. The 2-1/4" pipe is usually not a problem, at better shops. Dave.

From: Elijah Scott <imperial1971@xxxxxxxxx>
---- Original Message ----
From: "dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi All...was wondering if anyone has put a new dual-exhaust system in their 64-66 Imperials. PLEASE email me with your 2 cents about using the 'aluminized' steel (or not!) and any supplier that you (or someone you know of) has had experience with.

Dan -- I have an aluminized steel exhaust on my '71 Imperial that was installed in 1997.  Ten years later, it still looks nearly new.  It has seen plenty of rain and even a couple of snows.  So I can attest to the longevity of the aluminized pipes.

As for a supplier, I got the best results by finding a local shop that installs custom exhausts.  Any good exhaust shop can do the job, and will likely be less expensive than a pre-fab kit.  Another advantage is that a good exhaust guy can stand there and tweak the bends until everything fits together perfectly.  If you've ever watched someone who has this skill, it's pretty impressive!  In my experience, you'll do best to avoid chains like Midas, and instead find a local shop that's been in business for a while.  Check with the hotrod folks too, because all of their stuff is custom, and they will know who does the best work.

Hope this helps!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

My Collection of Imperials
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1970 Imperial LeBaron
1971 Imperial LeBaron