From: mamrom@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 6:59 am
Subject: IML: Is it a Old Man's car or Prestiage driving?

My Question: When, exactly, did Cadillacs, Lincolns and our beloved IMPERIALS go
from being a prestige car to an "old people" car, at least in the eyes of
reviewers. Surely the prestigious people that bought them as late as 1974 could
not all have reached old age by 1987!?! I cannot believe fuel economy is the
cause either, after all the 1980s Broughams can get 20 mpg on the highway, not
too shabby for the 1980s! When did successful people switch from Cadillacs to
BMWs and Lexuses, and what was it that did it? Because surely a successful 40
year old in 1975 would buy a CaddyImperial or Lincoln , not a BMW. What made him
decide that by age 50 Caddies/Imperials were too "old man?"