Re: IML: Is it a Old Man's car or Prestiage driving?

Re: IML: Is it a Old Man's car or Prestiage driving?

Lack of performance, mostly handling. Plus a healthy helping of euro- snobbery. It's also a lot of marketing. Mom, Dad, Grandparents, etc drove Lincolns, Cadillacs, and Imperials. Those who came of age in the 60s, once they were able to afford a luxury car, could not go the same way as their parents did, They never outgrew their childishness about avoiding anything of their parent's generation. They were perpetual 2-year-olds.

I was greatly surprised when I drive a friends 1990 BMW 735. That thing was a DOG that couldn't get out of it's own way. It was so underpowered that it turned over 3,000 RPM on the highways at 80, and you heard the engine working that hard. My 1990 Town Car, on the other hand, out accelerated and was whisper quiet at 80. The 5.0 V8 was just ticking over at 2,200 RPM at 80 MPH.

I bought my first non-US car last year, A new Jaguar Vanden Plas. The Town Car is still an 80's/90s vehicle. The ride is still quietness is still good, but the suspension doesn't ride as well as the Jag with it's 21st century engineering. I won't touch a FWD caddy. The STS is nice, but in order to get the good stuff, you have to order a lot of crap, so the car ends up costing as much as the Jag. With the Jag I got a decent audio system (Alpine instead of crummy bose) Sirius, instead of XM, I prefer the Sirius programming. And there's no Imperial anymore. The 300 isn't a luxury car.

Best regards,
Frank