RE: IML: Wheel Chock Dimensions

Hi Joe: I still have the original chock from my 53 Imp. Would you like exact measurements?

Currell  1953 Custom Imperial w/Powerflite

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:29:52 -0600
From: jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Wheel Chock Dimensions

To the Group;

I reproduced a wheel chock for my '62 based on dimensions supplied by member Ken Miller some months ago.  The measurements are for the right angle sides;  5 3/8"  X 2 7/8".  The resulting sharp points are sanded down, leaving a rounded edge about 1/4" radius on the short side and about 3/16" radius on the long side.  The stock used is 4" X 4".  I used pressure treated pine and went to a friend who had a 12" blade miter saw with a laser beam feature.  That allowed us to position the 4 X 4 piece and get the penciled line I had drawn aligned perfectly.  A little extra work with a wood rasp and an electric sander finished the edges that needed to be rounded off.  The miter saw required two people to do the job, one to hold the material and another to operate the saw.  A band saw would probably be a better choice.  Be sure to use adequate safety precautions when doing this to avoid kickback of the material etc.  It could also be created using a hand saw, but it will take a while!  Use flat black acrylic paint to finish.

The finished product looks exactly as I remember seeing wheel chocks from '50s era Chrysler products.  Evidently Chrysler Corp. continued to provide these wheel chocks into the '60s at least.

Joe