Re: IML: '81 Imperial - Body Type & Fuel Tank ???

Re: IML: '81 Imperial - Body Type & Fuel Tank ???

It's mostly the same. But specific items are Y for the Imperial. Because of the EFI's fuel return line and electric pump, the Y tank is somewhat different from the J tank used in the Mirada/Cordoba. The Imperial was a direct spin-off of the Mirada.

If you can reuse the Imperial's fuel tank tank mounting flange, then you can probably use a J tank. The Imperial flange has a four wire terminal and two fuel lines. The four terminals are two wires for the fuel level sensor and two wires for the electric pump. The two lines are pressure and fuel return. If your cars were carburetor converted, then you probably have a complete J tank without reusing the flange. (Reference: page 14-66 of the 1983 factory service manual.)

I left my Imperial with the EFI system.

Best regards,
Frank