Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:14 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Not so fast, Bub

Hugh,
I never thought I'd here myself say this but I agree with you completely. Not that I'm against high horsepower engines, but it's got it's place. 800 hp in a 50 year old car built for the purpose of going ridiculously fast on a public thoroughfare...well, it just ain't right. If you're building it for the strip...more power to ya, I'd pay to see it. But on the street, any street including the AB???...glad there's an ocean between him and me. When those wings on the tail end actually become wings, well, it will be a Kodak moment. I've got 300hp in my well maintained 99 Dakota R/T. That's about as aerodynamic as a brick...or a FW look Imperial. That's too much for the street.
I don't think this forum should condone that type of on street behavior.
My $.01.  ( weak dollar and all).
Tom
60 Imperial Crown
----- Original Message ----- From: "Hugh, 58 Imperial" <imperial58@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:03 PM
Subject: IML: Not so fast, Bub

Here's a good question, posed here recently:

What's the use of building an 800 HP +++ supercharged 392 . . . ?

Well, if you are Big Daddy Don Garlitz, with a specially designed dragster I can kind of see the point but stuffing one into a fifty year old classic never intended for the purpose and now dangerous under any circumstances, I'd have to say there is no good reason for doing so. Transferring all that power through regular sized wheels and tires is unwise to say the least and once you start getting into that level of modification . . . . . . You know what, it's your car, kid, so enjoy it, but don't expect everybody to be happy about it. You could buy a valuable painting and slash it into ribbons but you wouldn't expect applause either. I do have one demand, however. When you go, in every sense of the phrase, just don't take anybody else with you.

Hugh Hemphill
58 Imperial.  (Not completely stock, but as close as I can keep it.)