From: Burton Bouwkamp <northburt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 8:47 am
Subject: IML: HORSEPOWER

I was in Chrysler Engine Lab in 1951 and 1952 and I was involved in the
manufacturer of DeSoto engines (Warren Plant) and Chrysler/Imperial
engines (Jefferson Plant) until 1960.

I remember that Chrysler factory HP ratings were honest except for the
1960 "slant 6" engines where we under rated the 170 cu. in. version
and over rated the 225 cu. in version. More on that later.

Rated horsepower in the 1960's was "gross HP". Gross HP is measured on
a dynamometer with lab exhaust (zero back pressure), intake air
corrected to standard barometer and temperature settings and no
accessories - not even a fan. Horsepower as installed in a car would be
considerably less.

In 1960 the new 170 cu. in. engine tested in the Laboratory at 117 HP
but was rated at only 101 HP it  because it went in a subcompact car
(Valiant) and we thought the subcompact customers wanted a 100hp - or
less - engine.

The same year (1960) the new 225 cu. in. slant six tested at 123 HP but
was rated at 145 HP because that displacement should have produced 145
HP. We obviously had work to do. (A common cylinder head on the 170 cu.
in. and 225 cu. in. versions penalized the larger displacement.)

Some Chrysler Engineers were upset about this discrepancy but Product
Planners rationalized that it's not so bad when you average the over
rating of the 225 with the under rating of the 170 for the "slant 6"
 family of engines.

Burt Bouwkamp