RE: IML: starting my 64 after a long sleep

RE: IML: starting my 64 after a long sleep

Mark,

It could be nothing more than a faulty battery connection.  If the battery
connections are not tight and are corroded, the current required by the
starter will burn the connection.  One way to tell this for sure is to watch
the dome light while trying to start the engine.  If the dome light goes out
when you hit the starter and stays out then it is a faulty battery
connection.

On the other hand, it is an old battery.  The best way to check it is to use
a DC voltmeter across the battery.  With everything turned off, a fully
charged battery should stay around 12.5 volts.  During cranking it should
not drop below 10 volts.  If it does you could have an old tired battery or
the current drain could be severe enough to pull the voltage down to that
level.

You mentioned that the engine has not been started for several years.  Have
you tried to rotate the engine by hand to make sure it turns.  If it's
frozen you'll need to free it up before trying to start it with the starter.

Ken
67 Crown 4 Dr Ht
68 LeBaron 4 Dr Ht