Re: IML: Electronic Ignition Tester

You don't really need a tester for those systems. A regular VOM and tach is all you need. There are only a few critical parts in the system. 1) The control unit. They either work or don't. The control unit is cheap and available. Just sub one 2) Pickup coil. The FSM outlines a few resistance tests for the coil. If the resistance is in range 150-900 ohms and not shorted to ground, it's probably ok. 3) Ballast resistor. One side is 0.5 ohms and the other is 5 ohms. Replace if out of range.
4) Wiring.

The FSM has the procedure to test the circuit if you don't have the testing unit. I don't know where my 73 manual is anymore. But the '78 manual has the tests. It's pretty trivial. Check the IML web site if you don't have a manual.

Best regards,
Frank