IML: Fast and/or sporty Imperials

Hi all -

I missed a bunch of messages while traveling, so sorry if these items already have been mentioned.

Imperial roadster - December issue of Hot Rod magazine had a brief article about a guy planning to turn a '60 Imperial into a much lowered and shortened sports car/roadster. He provided a sketch of the planned car.

Very fast cars on public roads - I don't think the email exchange on a planned 200 mph Imperial mentioned the fastest race on public roads, the Nevada Open Road Challenge and the Silver State Classic Challenge, held on a 90 mile stretch of highway 318 in Nevada. See http://www.silverstateclassic.com/318-hwy-event-description.htm for details. Go as fast as you want! Seems the record is held by a 90s Chrysler LeBaron at 207.78 mph - really just a body on an ex-NASCAR chassis. Scanning most of the race results leads me to think getting any full-sized Imperial up to 200 mph would take more HP than any big-block could deliver for more than a few minutes.

Related to this, I got two books for Christmas, "The Driver" and "The Mulholland Experience", about (irresponsible) high-speed driving on public roads. Also irresponsible proof-reading!

I'll stick to bench-racing.

Bob