From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 4:48 pm
Subject: IML: Tightening steering boxes - easy once figgered out.

Doug, that's a really surprisingly simple task that
takes two wrenches, a cool engine compartment, and a
little reading in the FSM. This is do-able and is a
nuisance on almost any of these cars that is easily
fixed.

Pls check Service manual at your house or online first
and see if that makes sense.

There is a great picture and woefully inadequate
description of what to wrench on here:

http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1964/FSM/html/19-026.htm

See "c." right above the picture of the guy with the
wrench? That's where they describe it. Loosen the
lock nut. Tighten the screw-driver or allen wrench
center part unti you feel the steering wheel start to
tighten up and have less slop. A little slop before
it starts to load up and feel rubbery is OK - that
will be masked by the power steering. Over-tightening
will cause it to bind...

Once you figure this out, it will be the first thing
you look at on any other similar chrysler product,
since so much improvement comes from such a simple
operation.

Good luck!

-Kenyon

--- Doug Norton <dougnort@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks, Mike. Those are GREAT pictures. I surely
appreciate Lowell Howe
for selling items I can't find elsewhere, and he is
such a good guy to deal
with.

Speaking of steering that could be tighter, as you
did with your lovely '58,
my 1964 Crown Coupe has "loosey goosey" steering.
It is not bad enough to
keep me from driving it, but I would feel more
confident if it was tighter.
Can anyone tell me what would need to be done to
tighten up the steering?
If an answer to that has been posted in the past, I
apologize that I have
not found it yet.

Many thanks.

Doug Norton
1964 Crown Coupe - The Princess
1969 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sir Lancelot
2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - El Diablo
(inferno red)

On Jan 10, 2008 4:15 PM, Michael Howlett
<collyman1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> To quote a recent newsmaker/showman........ "Dr.
Phil".......... "It's
> alright, to be bragging on yourself".
>
> Please take a moment to check out these two new
pages on the Imperial
> Website.
> Many THANKS to Mark Elliott for adding
these.........ALL the Webmonsters
> do an incredible job converting pictures, text,
and articles into the pages
> you see on the website.
> I've spent the last couple of years gathering
film, 4x6 photos, and
> text together, and then I had to buy a good
scanner, so now I am up and
> running and ready to roll.
> I would much rather spend all my spare time
working on all the project
> cars, but these days you can't get away from the
computer, so I must make it
> a point every week to learn more computer stuff,
and devote the
> time to better my computer skills.
> Here are the pictures I took back in October 2005,
when we drove to Lowell
> Howe's place (near Sacramento California).
> I would invite anyone who appreciates old cars,
and especially Imperials,
> to make it a point sometime in the near future to
take the time and go and

http://www.imperialclub.com/Events/LowellHowe2005-02/index.htm

> Also, Mark was kind enough to add one of my
Imperials to the website and I
> can't stress enough, how much WORK the volunteers
do to convert the
> articles, text, and pictures into the sharp,
crisp, clean pages you see on

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1958/MichaelHowlett/