Re: IML: Wire Wheels

i have to disagree here, the reasons that wire wheels stopped being used was quite simply economics (they were far more expensive to produce than steel wheels) they fell out of favour with the general public (as they take far longer to clean than steel wheels).

If a car doesnt handle properly with wire wheels it is likely to be because the wheels havent been properly maintained (yes they do require maintenence, spokes can become loose , generally because they have been abused, kerbing at high speed for instance, also the heavier the car the more likely spokes will become loose. or more likely other worn out suspension parts.

I havent that much experience of American cars on wire wheels, but they do tend to have fewer and  thicker guage spokes than european cars. I do dislike welded spoke wheels such as those fitted to model A Fords, but on my 1933 Railton Terraplane (english body on  Terraplane chassis) I have never had any problems with loose spokes, it handles very well, and I use it, having competed in many Sprints and Hill climbs.

I have only ever had a broken spoke on one car, a 1957 Alvis TC 108G which was on 60 spoke wheels, the later TD21 had 72 spoke wheels and no problems, quite simply the weight of the car was just too much  for the 60 spoke wheel.

However one area which needs to be treated with care is that of chrome wire wheels, the chrome process can cause the spokes to become brittle and then break (this is particularly dangerous in a high performance car, breaking hard from high speed , in excess of 100 mph, can result in enough spokes breaking for the wheels to collapse.

If you must have chorme wires (I far prefer painted ones!) have stainless steel spokes.... but make sure it the right spec or stainless for the purpose.

Apologies to those who dislike mention of cars other than Imperials, but you cant address a subject like this without reference to other makes.

regards

Nigel Plant

1929 Chrysler Imperial L*80 Convertible Coupe by Locke  (on wooden wheels, which I also have no problems with! although I do have a set of Chrome Wires with stainless spokes which I might put on if I can sort the hubs out...)