Re: IML: Fin trivia

Ah yes, but most car books (especially the glossy big pictures ones) are made in the UK, and many are shot full of errors and many of those errors are repeated over and over, because the publishers just copy from one another without going to real sources.  There is little to be trusted there, whether spec, production numbers, or even matching of pictures to captions (wrong year or model is common).

The reason, I think, that the caddy gets the nod as fin icon is because there are more of them (then and now) and even more so, because the popularization of the fins in retro was all based on exploitation of the garish extremes of bad taste and slathered-on chrome that they represented.  In that regard, the Caddy is surely the winner - it's a pastiche of inconsistent and garish adolescent fantasy elements bolted onto an obsolete platform.  By comparison, the 61 Imperial (like most Exner work) is all of a piece, an integrated and sophisticated form, with bright work where it accents the basic shape - still a lot by modern standards, but understated then - hardly the thing to exemplify overdone ugly.

Off the soapbox now,
jc