Re: IML: Virgil Exner Biography

It is indeed a great book  (I got it for Xmas).

On Jan 15, 2008, at 1:09 PM, HOFCAG@xxxxxxx wrote:

For all of you interested in the "Fin Era" of American car design, I encourage you to read a recently published book  VIRGIL EXNER:VISIONEER.  This is, I think, the first biography of Virgil Exner and contains many previously unpublished photographs and drawings that are in the collection of Exner's family.  The book covers his entire life, but concentrates on his years as the design chief at Chrysler.  Exner oversaw the design of all Chrysler products during his years with the company, but according to his son (still living) he was most closely involved with Imperial and "practically lived" in the Imperial design studio when the 57s were being conceived.  Also, Exner always maintained the tall fins helped provide stability at high speeds.  I'm not sure that has ever been proved though.
Keith, 58 Southampton 4dr

John Corey
CFIC-Qdrive, 302 Tenth St., Troy, NY 12180 USA
518-272-3565 x201
fax: -272-3582