Re: IML: 413 engine rebuild 59 Imperial crown

Just a few points on water in the oil. If the water entered the engine, whether condensation or leak, the oil would remain the same dirty color(old oil) or for fresh, as long as the engine was not run or turned over very long. Since the water is heavier than oil, it would precipitate to the bottom of the oil pan, until it was emulsified with the oil. It's too late to drain the cooling system, and block to do an air pressure test, to see if it leaks in a cylinder, or crankcase. It's possible the head gasket(s) have failed between the plies of the gasket, near a water passage on the crankcase side. It's also possible the block was re-sleeved, and leaking at the bottom of the sleeve. A casting pin hole, or slight freeze crack, are possible. All the above, I can bare witness to. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "david carpenter" <zirc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I purchased a 59 Imperial Crown recently that was in great shape except for the fact that the engine had water in the oil. We have taken the engine apart and the block and heads are at the machine shop being cleaned and magna fluxed. So far the gaskets were in good shape and there are no apparent cracks. Any ideas on where the water came from? Some have said that water could have condensed in the engine. The car sat for 8 years without being used in Florida. The engine turned well, but the oil was a light grey brown color. There was very little rust inside the engine. Did the 413 engine block have any weak spots. I know this was the first year for this engine and they were going for a light weight large block engine. Are there any design flaws with this engine? Thanks, David Carpenter