Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:41 AM
Subject: IML: harmonic balancer bolt removal

Ive gritted my teeth on this one for a few days, thinking " yeah that might work ok....." but personally I dont think Id use the starter motor to break the balancer bolt loose. Today someone posted the same reason, the teeth on the ring gear that are on the torque converter might not like that. They probably wouldnt break, but if it did break a gear tooth off of the ring gear youre looking at 10 times the work in comparison to something as simple as a timing cover on a big block Mopar. The starter itself wouldnt be much of an issue, but that ring gear means a transmission or engine removal, or at least splitting the trans from the engine and moving it back a few inches.

Having owned and removed more small and big block mopar timing chains than I care to remember, I finally took an old crank pulley and welded a steel bar about 2 ft long across it. I bolt that pulley on the balancer, let the steel bar rotate with the crank till it hits the frame rail and that holds the crank from turning. Easier than fighting with trying to hold the ring gear, works when you dont have an impact wrench available and is pretty hard to break anything with this.

Hope this helps,

Mikey