Re: IML: Rumbling driveline vibration

This may also be a LONG shot, but on the Chrysler front wheel
drives, IF the struts are bad and the engine mounts have been
replaced WITH the CORRECT ones the verticle positioning of the
struts can change to the point where you WILL VERY MUCH notice
BAD struts and BAD lower ball joints.  The struts have a ball
bearing pivot in the top mounting bearing/plate that DOES go VERY
BAD and it takes more than the normal beating when the "strut
pistons" are wore out.  This can cause VERY HARD steering and a
lot of rumbling noise.  IF you have a Clicking/tapping/knocking
noise when turning in either direction then the CV joints can
also be bad.  IF the car has more than 100K miles on it = REBUILD
the ENTIRE front suspension (Cheaper and much more pleasant that
way).  This is only a simplified description.  Belive me, I have
been through this and it is easier to do a complete rebuild from
engine mounts to half shafts to rack to struts and ball joints.
Most of the work otherwise envolves one of these parts to get to
others of these parts to replace them.  I had to do this to my 90
Fifth Avenue (3.3) and I now need to do this to our 93 Imperial
(3.8L) (135,ooo miles) and 92 Grand Voyager SE (3.3L) (133,000
miles). The 3.3 and 3.8 engine are very reliable and I look at
them like the Slant6 for the front wheel drive vehicles, AND they
also get very descent mileage.

IMPORTANT to ALL FRONT DRIVE CHRYSLER PRODUCTS OWNERS - whether
you do the STRUT rebuild yourself, have someone do it for you, or
purchase a comlete strut assembly, MAKE SURE TO HAVE THE THICK
ISOLATOR PADS AT THE TOP AND THE BOTTOM OF THE SPRINGS.  IT will
make a WORLD if difference in the ride and ESPECIALLY in the road
noise being transferred into the engine compartment.  AS PAUL
said previously, the engine compartment can be like a LARGE DRUM
and amplifies the noise.  I did not know at the time BUT I paid
to have my front struts in my 90 Fifth Avenue replaced just
before I left Las Vegas and trucked it to Portland, OR, just to
find out that the old worn isolator pads had been USED in the
struts and the sound was EXTREMELY unpleasant. I sold the car
less than 2 years later.

Æyn & Patrick
1975 LeBaron
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
1993 Imperial Sedan
1992 Grand Voyager SE
(used to have: 1990 Fifth Avenue, 1986 Dodge B250, 1985 Chrysler
New Yorker, 1972 Duster, 1972 Fury Custom Suburban S/W, 1969
LeBaron)
Do you think we like Mopar?