IML: Broken Imperial Engine Mounts

One of the hazards of broken engine motor mounts is that when accelerating or turning corners the engine can rock to one side enough for the fan blade to hit the fan shroud. This results in a bent fan blade. Note that in the service manuals it states that any bent fan blade should be replaced, not repaired. The steel used to make the fan blades can develop stress cracks from vibration and sling a blade off striking anyone nearby if the hood is up and the engine is running. I personally know of one man who received a fan blade chop to his throat. He nearly died of blood loss before arriving at the hospital.

Even an after-market replacement fan blade will be safer than a bent original equipment type. Any broken engine mount should be replaced at the earliest possible time to avoid damaging the fan and shroud.

If you elect to do it yourself, use of a rented engine lift to support the engine while replacing the mounts will be a big help. Make sure it is a type with a hydraulic lift mechanism so that you can make minor changes to engine position and things will go easier. Follow all recommended safety precautions on/with the lift. Do not use a hydraulic or mechanical jack under the oil pan, or you may wind up with a crushed oil pan! Also be very careful of the possibility of shifting of engine position while installing the engine mount. Let's not have any loss of fingers! Take every precaution to avoid injury and it would pay to have another person who could use a crow bar or 2 X 4 to help shift the engine slightly to help align parts.

I did replace engine mounts on a Chrysler equipped with a 440 engine years ago. I found that using a suitable bolt or drift pin through one end set of engine mount holes and the hole in the engine block casting at the same helped get the OEM bolt from the other end started easier. It also helped keep the engine etc. from shifting position while starting the OEM bolt from the other end.

Joe
begin:vcard
fn:Joe Strickland
n:Strickland;Joe
adr;dom:;;1021 Vaughan Lane;Tioga;Texas;76271
email;internet:jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxx
version:2.1
end:vcard