Re: IML: Re:Scratched & Foggy Windshield

Re: IML: Re:Scratched & Foggy Windshield

Dan,
I think you're suffering from delamination of the glass. I don't think there's much you can do about it but replace it. New Engel windshields aren't too hard to get hold of. But, make sure you find the gasket BEFORE you take it to the glass shop. That's the scarce part. Kenyon saved a gasket by soaking it in vinegar on that '55 he had. But, you gotta be careful not to cut it on the way out (and in).

I have gouge from a bade wiper arm on my '68 Polara. I tried the Eastwood kit a few years ago. It helped to clear it up (not completely). But, the areas where it worked well has a bit of a distortion. I'm thinking I'll drop a new windshield in it when the time comes.

--MarkE

dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All! ...the front windshield on my '66 LeBaron (actually, also on my convertible) has the double problem of having a number of somewhat bad 'scratches' as well as portions on both the lower passengers-side as well as the drivers-side that have gotten 'foggy' ! A number of years back someone (probably from this group of well experienced Imperial owners) told me that the 'foggy' problem was due to the two sandwiched portions of the windshield coming slightly apart at the bottom, underneath where the stainless trim runs around the lower edge of the windshield. Moisture gets up into the slightly 'parted' glass layers and works its way up little by little. The result being the 'foggy' appearance observed from the moisture being drawn UPWARDS  as time went on and the two glass layers separate more and more.
...Again, this is what I had been told and if someone has a better explination for that 'foggy' look at the lower edges of the windshield PLEASE email me (dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and let me know. I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone has a fix for this problem (other than getting a new windshield, of course!).
I am going to try and use a blow-dryer to see if I can 'coax' the moisture downwards out of the window but, even if it does work, i still have the problem of resealing the windshield (thats IF I can get it to clear up) or else I'll be right back where I started from! I can't be the only Imperial owner to have this problem as it has appeared on 4 of the 5 1966 Imperials that I have owned in my lifetime. So any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
...Regarding the 'scratches'....has anyone tried using (and I may spell this wrong..!) "serium oxide" and water with a slow RPM machine to get rid of the scratches and make the glass all new and shiney...or, at least better than it was!??? I have seen suppliers (Eastwood is one I think) that sell a kit to remove glass scratches but I would like to hear from someone who has ACTUALLY done (or tried) this on a windshield.
Thanks a bunch everyone!!!
Dan Melnik