From: dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 4:14 pm
Subject: Re: IML: Re:Scratched & Foggy Windshield

Hi PAul...thanks for the email!....and I agree 500% with you that our Imperials shoould (probably are!) kept my most members for the sheer enjoyment and not the 'investment potential'....as much as i enjoy reading about some of these 'resto mods' being done by various shops, the COST for these rebuilds makes the part about actually making money on the project almost impossible from my layman's point of understanding....but what do I know anyway?? I just enjoy driving my
cars!...call me crazy!!
....I kind of figured that there was no cure for the 'foggy' windshield but I had to ask the group anyway...while it is easy to just ignore the foggyness (is
that a word?) that is on the passenger side, just to the right of the
'lower-center' of the windshield, the real reason I asked at all is that now I am getting the 'foggy' glass on the drivers side, and as Murphy's Law would have it, right where I look thru the windshield and check the drivers-side mirror! As I mentioned to another member I am going to check with my Classic Car Ins. Co and see if this qualifies for a replacement since its affecting the 'safe
driving' of my auto....who knows? can't hurt to ask, right???
Dan Melnik
P.S. ....yep, you are right about my living in southern CAlifornia. But at an elevation of 2600ft it does get cold here during the nights (30's) and heats up during the daytimes to anywhere from 60-70. Not each and every day, of course, but with temp swings like that you can see where the foggyness/moisture can get a start. Like you said, we do our best to protect our cars and hopefully get to enjoy them for many years for our troubles! Thanks again for your remail.

---- PAUL WENTINK <randalpark@xxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
The only cure for the fog is replacement. That particular windshield
will fog around the lower corners, but it probably won't get worse for
many years. This problem began on my '65 about ten years ago, and has
not spread. That says a lot considering the amount of weather we have
here in Washington State. Compared to changing the windshield, I plan
to just live with it. The fogging is very minor at this stage. Keeping
the car indoors in a dry climate may slow it down considerably. Aren't
you in Southern California?

I have found that I enjoy my cars much more by concentrating on the big
things, like keeping them running so that I can drive them when I want
to. Dependable, shiny, original cars with nice interiors suit me, even
if there is a little fog in the corner of the windshield. With my busy
life, if I got that upset about everything that could possibly happen
to each of my cars, I would have to throw in the towel. All I can do is
the best that I can to protect my "investments". We all know that old
cars are more for enjoyment than investment anyway, right?

Paul W.