Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 1962 lebaron radio

The radios 1960 through 1963 are interchangeable. There are minor
differences mechanically, but they essentially are the same, yes,
HYBRID with tubes and transistors. They were state of the art for the
time and are capable of delivering the very high quality performance.
Appearance wise, the dial color changes from year to year, and even
within certain years, to match the dial colors of the speedometer and
gauge cluster.

For example, some 1960 Imperials have gray background gauges, and some
have black. The radio dial is coordinated with these to match. 961 and
1962 are all black background, while 1963 has all gray background. The
1963 radio matches up nicely to the gray background 1960 models. The
radios also incorporate the electro-luminescent lighting feature for
night time driving.

The radios are out there (check e-bay), and if not working can be
repaired. The OIC may have contact information for radio repair, or you
may locate one in your area on your own. Also check Hemmings
advertising. Here in Western Washington State I had no luck locally
until finding a retired T.V. repair man who works on old technology in
his spare time. He rebuilt six radios for me, which I plan to install
in my Imperials sometime during the next year or so. Once the old ones
are removed, I will have them repaired as spares. At that point, I may
sell off a couple since I don't plan to keep a separate spare for each
car.

Paul W.