RE: IML: '56 & '57 Chrysler and Imperial Engines

My 55 Imperial had a 354 Hemi from the factory and I have documentation that the dealer replaced it in 1957 with a 392 Hemi under the factory warranty for no charge. It was still running fine until 2004 when the last owner rebuilt it because it had some leaking from the main seal. My car looks like a twin to the black 1955 4 door Imperial from the California collection sent around last week. As far as values go, I think the cars are under valued by all of the price guides. I have been offered 45,000 for my 55 and I would not sell it for less than 75,000. I love these cars…I also enjoy all of you emails about the repairs and parts searches. I know of no other group like this group. I attended the Barrett-Jackson auction again this year and while many cars are not bringing premium prices, the older mopars are stepping up the pace. You may have seen the 36 Chrysler Airflow bring 88,000.00 There was nothing special about this car. It was restored to a level 3 by a novice, not a professional. The Mopars and the Mustangs were the targets of serious money this year.  Dave Nelson (55 Imperial)

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:54 PM
To: Imperial Mail List
Subject: IML: '56 & '57 Chrysler and Imperial Engines

I can vouch for the fact that a '56 Chrysler Windsor had a 333 cu. inch polyspherical combustion chamber engine.  The New Yorker and Imperial had the 354 cu. inch hemispherical combustion chamber engine.  In 1957 the New Yorker and Imperial had a 392 cu. inch hemispherical combustion chamber engine.  The Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga models had engines of lesser displacement and were not hemispherical combustion chamber type.  I don't remember the displacements for the Windsor and Saratoga for '57, but it was not 318 (which would have been in a Plymouth or Dodge).  I believe the displacement on the Chrysler Windsor engine of 1957 was at least 354 cu. inches or perhaps 360?  Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that issue.  I know the Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga models still had the polyspherical combustion chamber design with spark plugs entering from the side of the head more akin to the later 318 and 413 engines.  The early 318 (1955-?) was a polyspherical head design while the later ones ('59 & up?) had the wedge head type design.

In any case the Imperial line always had the hemispherical combustion chamber engine from its introduction in 1951 through 1958.  In 1959 the 413 wedge-head engine was introduced in the Imperial as well as the Chrysler line.  By then the Chrysler Windsor or Newport(?) likely had a 383 cu. inch engine.

Joe

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.