From: tcufroggie86c@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:18 am
Subject: IML: Rear Main Oil Seal on a 1966 Imperial

All,
I apologize for the wide distribution. I have perused the archives on the OIC site, and on the internet, but have not found the information I am seeking.  I have a 66 Imperial Crown Convertible that has a nice leak at the rear main seal.  My mechanic has replaced the seal once, but the problem reappeared shortly (4-5 days) after the seal was replaced.  I have seen on the OIC website that it mentions a worn crankshaft can contribute to the leak at the rear main seal.  My mechanic has stated this as a possiblity also and has shown me where there is some wear in this area on the grooves of the crankshaft.  Neither he nor I are particularly enthusiastic about replacing a crankshaft, thus it is not my intent to replace it. I can live with the leak
instead of performing such an intrusive procedure.

My question(s) are as follows:

1.  Was the original rear main seal a rope type seal or a smooth type of seal for the 66 Imperial?

2.  Is there a "double" or oversized rear main seal available for Imperials?  I recall that big block GM cars
had  these oversized type seals to fix this annoying leak.

3.  Any other suggestions on how to fix this issue on the 440 engine in a '66 Imperial?

Please feel free to reply to me directly at tcufroggie86c@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
CCC